Abilene Army AirfieldTags: History Collection, Planes Trains and Automobiles
Today we are featuring PLANES that from the Grace Museum History collection via a lesser-known newspaper titled “The Fighter”! Abilene is home to Dyess Air Force Base – named for Lt. Colonel Edwin Dyess of nearby Albany, Texas (an amazing story for another day). In December 1942, the Tye Army Air Field opened to house the Army Air Corps. A few months later in 1943 the TAF was officially named the Abilene Army Airfield. After WWII AAF was eventually sold to the City of Abilene and renovated for use as a military installation in the Korean War with the name officially changed to Dyess Air Force Base in December of 1956.
The newspaper “The Fighter” was the weekly newspaper published by Special Service at Abilene Army Air Field and issues from the Grace collection are searchable via the Portal to Texas History.
SOURCE and more info: Mike Hernandez